Archive for January, 2007

Exporting a Vehicle at Blaine, Washington

Thursday, January 18th, 2007

Bureau of Customs & Border Protection Phone: (360) 332-2632
Vehicle/Equipment Outbound Team Fax: (360) 332-2639
9901 Pacific Highway E-Mail:
Blaine, WA 98230-9299
Export Hours: 8:00am – 3:30pm Monday-Friday

(Holiday Closures for 2007 Jan 1, Jan. 15, Feb 19, May 28, July 4, Sept 3,
Oct 8, Nov 12, Nov 22, Dec 25)

This requirement ONLY pertains to LAND BASED / SELF PROPELLED vehicles
Required Documents
These Documents must be on file with our office for 3-business days prior to export!!!!
2. Title/Certificate of Ownership, which includes Salvage title, rebuilt title, or flood title. (Because Washington State does not issue a Salvage title the required document to export a salvaged vehicle out of Washington is a PUBLIC DISCLOSURE FORM, which can be obtained from the Department of Licensing in Olympia. Contact Washington Department of Licensing Public Disclosure Section at (360) 902-3760 for further information.)
3. Bill of sale, this can be a hand written document between buyer and seller. If vehicle was a gift a letter of gift can be substituted for bill of sale. If you are the titled owner of the vehicle a bill of sale is not required.

A few common exceptions
1. Vehicle’s that are being financed through a U.S. based lender often do not have a titled issued for that vehicle. A letter from the finance company granting permission for that vehicle to leave the country can be used in lieu of title.
2. Off road vehicles often do not have titles issued to them in those cases an invoice can be used in lieu of title.
3. Brand new vehicles bought from dealerships will not have a title. Manufactures Statement of Origin, (MSO) or a Certificate of Origin can be used in lieu of a title.

Once all required documents have been obtained, fax the documents to our office at 360.332.2639. Documents may also be hand delivered to our office or we can accept them via e-mail if you have the ability. These documents must be on file, in our office, 3-business days prior to you physically taking the vehicle into Canada. It will not take less then 3-business days to process these documents; during this 3-day period, the vehicle must remain in the United States. Here are examples of how to calculate when the vehicle will be ready for export. If you submit the paper work on Monday, the vehicle will be ready for export on Thursday, as long as there are no holidays with in that time frame. If you submit the paperwork on Thursday your vehicle will not be ready for export until the following Tuesday. Any paper work received after 3:00pm will not be processed until the following day, meaning the 3-day clock will not start until the following day. Weekends do not count towards the 3-day period.